Monday 15 December 2014

Avani surprises mommy!

As promised, first an update on Avani's birthday. I could do all of what I had promised myself in those 24 hours. My office, birthday celebration in Avu's school, a visit to children's park at India Gate, birthday party at home, live telecast on skype for husband and even little vodka post dinner. Obviously the last one was not planned :).

Avani was a fantastic baby all day! No tantrums, no behaviour issues. She was splendid in school. When I went, she was sitting with her classmates. She saw me and came out and we arranged her cake. She blew out all four candles in one go, enjoyed the birthday song and loved the cake (but of course!). I was amazed at how beautifully my child has settled in school discipline. She sat on her chair with her plate, finished her cake and distributed gifts. The little boy who was complaining about her last time, even came to the door this time to say bye to Avu!

When we went to Children's Park post lunch, Avu surprised me yet again! She was obviously running around and exploring rides but my girl would immediately respond to my call! Avani's listening skills have improved a lot over the past couple of months. She is responding much better and following instructions at least 7 out of ten times. Its incredible, trust me! I didn't have to make an extra effort to not shout at her on her birthday because I didn't need to!

At home in evening, as soon as the cake was put on table Avani knew she is going to be invited for candle blowing and cake cutting. She loved the attention. My baby enjoyed every moment.

I did cheat a little though. When coke was served, she was given too but her cup was seventy percent diluted with water. Cake was served and guests were advised to finish before she finished hers. I didn't bring home any chocolates, candies or sweets. Cake was our only dessert.

There are a lot of positives that I can gather from her birthday. From three to four years of age, Avani has gone through hundreds of hours of therapy, controlled diet, constant attention, a variety of medicines and what not. Each and every day my baby does lot more than what a 'typical' four year old would do.

I am deeply touched and overwhelmed by the kind of response this blog is getting. At first, I was skeptical that my writing might be seen as an attempt to gain sympathy. But am sure, those of you who know me would vouch that sympathy is the last word on my mind. I am a fighter and so is my daughter. With the help of your prayers and blessings, we are going to work even harder to fight autism. It is not a disease, it is just a different way of growing and living. We are not sure if we can kick autism out of our lives, but at the least we will do our best to make it a part of our life without affecting any other area of so called 'normalcy'. I do feel the impact of the love, prayers and blessings that Avu is getting through this blog. Most of you have not even seen Avani but still you are wishing the best for my child. Thank you is perhaps not enough to summarise what I feel.

Next week, we pick up Avu's journey through this enigma called autism from where we left.


8 comments:

  1. I was so despirately waiting for this one. Feels so much Happiness to read that Avani enjoyed her Birthday to the fullest. You said it right You are a Fighter & so is Avani. She will rise above all kicking Autism aside. Its just pure love & right direction and Voila it will be a beautiful Life.

    Thanks for posting Avani's Picture. She is so sweet :)

    You or Avani don't need any sympathy, its for loosers you both are winners. Fighting odds everyday is no joke. Loads and Loads of wishes to Avani & you. Prayers, Happiness is what all I wish for both of you. Keep Rocking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful...Congratulations to you and Avani on an awesome day spent beautifully...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I happened to view this blog from Ayappa's profile. My younger sis and he studied in same college and that is how I know him. I wont be lying when I say I totally understand the feelings what you went through when Avani (She is a cutie!!!!) was said to be having ASD. 2 years back my daughter Jia (when she was 2.5) was suspected of that. due to her language delay. My friend suggested we get her tested for language delay and did go through grueling 3 months just not knowing if she is in spectrum or not. And believe me everything you wrote in that blog "Denial" we were going through that. Even though she was cleared of that spectrum thing, we had to sit through language therapy sessions for 7 months and that made us grow more than anything else. Frustrations when repeated classes didn't show any noticeable results and exhilarations when Jia did something new. It takes lot of time and effort from parents and I have HUGE respect to those parents. Congratulations to the special family!!!! I will surely return to this blog to look up on Avani and her progress. Keep up the good work.

    Cheers
    Kala

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, really appreciate your writing to us. So happy that you could get out of the situation in a short duration. Our journey is a lil longer. Hope to have your support and well wishes for Avani. Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. Everytime u make me cry...love to Avani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its easy to get emotional, the tough part is to be strong. Let us all pray for Avani. Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. GOD BLESS AVANI... SHE WILL BE FINE

    ReplyDelete